Begun in 1846, the West Side Freight Line was the only freight railroad directly into Manhattan.

West Side Freight Line aerial view West Side Freight Line Merchants Warehouse West Side Freight Line Bell Labs Building

Some old photos of the West Side Freight Line. These are from a brochure published by the New York Central in 1934 and re-issued by the West Side Rail Line Development Foundation (author was a former member and supporter of this foundation).

Powered by WebRing®.

Welcome to our New York Central West Side Freight Line WebSite


Here's a preview of some of the exciting projects we have put together for you:


Our feature article is "The West Side Rail Line"

You can fly the path of the West Side Freight Line on Google Earth.
Start at St Johns Freight House. move up the line to the New York City Postoffice. Then see the 60th Street Rail Yard and "Hudson Yards". See the ferry from Weehawken.

See the Customers on the West Side Freight Line

A most interesting section is the locomotives that ran on the West Side Rail Line.

Other interesting sections include Head End Equipment that ran on the New York Central and who owns Grand Central Terminal.

Read about neighbors of the High Line.

You MUST check out our reference section.

See a 1934 pamphlet describing improvements in the New York Central's freight distribution system in Manhattan. It closely approximates the original but some of the pictures have been reordered.

See a great story and some great pictures on West Side Freight Line 30th Street Station and West Side Freight Line Passengers
West Side Cowboy - it is the law
(Photo clipped from an old New York Central Headlight)

West Side Freight Line 30th Street Station and West Side Freight Line Passengers


1861. The Abraham Lincoln family pulled into New York City's 30th Street Station at about 3:00 p.m. on February 19. 1865. Lincoln's funeral train left on the journey from Washington to Springfield. That was the terminal for the Hudson River RR. When Vanderbilt bought it as well as the NY & Harlem RR, they built the connection between Spuytin Duyvil and Mott Haven and routed most Hudson River RR trains into Grand Central Depot.

The NYC&HR local passenger service was pretty much a connection at Spuyten Duyvil arrangement from the opening of the original Grand Central from the timetables I've seen ( See June 26, 1921 Employee Timetable). The opening of the Elevated reduced traffic considerably; the opening of the IRT finished off most ridership; the trolley and El, Trolley/IRT was quite a bit cheaper. A Nickel could get you all the way downtown from 125th St (especially on the IRT) -- without the change at 30th, for example.

Somewhere along the line, I had understood that this limited passenger service was eliminated in 1918 during WW1. However, that was a temporary measure as seen by the 1921 timetable. One mystery solved. Tommy Meehan sent me a newspaper article from January 13, 1918 that explains it to be only temporary.

I am going to break down what little research is available into several categories
(1) What we know about West Side Freight Line passenger trains.
(2) Great facts thanks to Tommy Meehan
(3) Remaining mysteries about West Side Freight Line passenger trains.
(4) Other (cool?) stuff about the West Side Freight Line.

West Side 30th Street Picture
Photo was taken about at W. 31st Street & 11th Avenue looking east slightly southeast. From the 1920s era showing the station area.

What we know about West Side Freight Line passenger trains.



There was a passenger train called the "Dolly Varden", a local train leaving 30th Street station on the west side going to Spuyten Duyvil. "This train became such a symbol both to railroaders and West Siders that for years it was continued on the time-table after it actually ceased to operate."

I don't know for sure why NYC kept those passenger trains on the West Side up to the 1930's, but there were probably several reasons:
1. To carry employees down to 60th and 30th Streets, at least until the subway was put into service.
2. NY State Public Service Commission would not approve discontinuance.
3. Some U. S. Mail might have been handled locally, and maybe some company mail.
4. After they quit hauling passengers, and even into Penn Central, there were first class trains running between 30th St and Spuyten Duyvil for mail and express. No's. 3 and 13 went to Chicago, and the 800 series trains ran to and from Harmon with head-end traffic to and from the west.
5. To preserve the franchise for passengers on the West Side. From a story that was in the June 15 1931 edition of the New York Times. The occasion was the final use of steam on the line. The final paragraph mentions the West Side passenger service, though it doesn't seem very accurate. It sounds like what the reporter actually saw was a milk transfer run with a rider car attached for the crew. I do believe it is accurate insofar as the Tri-power units were probably used to haul the passenger trains. I'd be very surprised if they used MU cars, even to tow them, but of course it's possible.

From a September 2007 discussion in TRAINS Magazine:
Daily except Sunday in 1934,
lv 30th St (0.00 miles) 0700
pass 60th St (1.66) 0715
depart 130th St (5.24) 0726
depart 152nd St (6.31) 0731
depart Fort Washington (7.48) 0737
depart Inwood (9.08) 0742
arrive Spuyten Duyvil (10.06) 0747 and the other three trains are similar.

West Side 30th Street Picture
Photo was taken about mid-block on W. 30th Street between 10th and 11th Avenues. It is looking northeast, with W. 31st Street out of sight to the extreme left." That's 10th Avenue in the background, of course. It is dated, June 1931, showing the area after demolition. Note the end of a passenger car visible in the left corner, though the windows may be boarded up, it's hard to tell.

Great facts thanks to Tommy Meehan.


The two points that interest me the most is when the West Side Line passenger service stopped running and when the 30th Street station was closed.

In the R&LHS-NY Chapter monthly newsletter we have been running a multi-part series about efforts by the city to relocate the West Side Line, to get it off city streets, this started in earnest in 1905. Unfortunately it's a very complex story, very political, and we're only up to 1918! As a historical society we don't accept anything as fact unless it can be documented, though.

There are obviously a couple of tracks still in place so if the Central was still running the West Side service, did they have a makeshift boarding area located there? Along W. 31st Street? It seems likely but without some documentation I wouldn't presume it.

I read the TRAINS forum thread you sent. While there was obviously a lot of bad information as to the West Side Line, based on uninformed speculation, I was surprised to see the claim by TimZ that he has a 1934 ETT showing the passenger trains were still running. I'm acquainted with Tim and he is very reliable. If he says he has an 1934 ETT showing the passenger trains were still running, for me that is pretty convincing.

A former NYC employee once said he would guess the West Side trains stopped running around 1931 as that was when the old terminal area at W. 30th Street & 10th Avenue was leveled to make way for the USPS Morgan Annex.

Btw, the street running along Eleventh Avenue was never equipped with third-rail. That would've been very risky and the City of New York would never have permitted it. Another fact, about the slow running times, don't forget these trains had to be proceeded by a man on horseback. If that didn't slow them down enough, than you had vehicle traffic along Eleventh Avenue.

Remaining mysteries about West Side Freight Line passenger trains.


The big remaining questions are:
(1) When did this passenger service stop?
(2) What type of equipment did they use?


Note: much of our material is from various blogs and forums. As you can tell, some of the facts seem like heresay.

Earlier in 1893 a Rapid Transit proposal would have elevated the West Side line of NY Central from 30th to 69th and connected it to the 9th Avenue El.

In 1893 the Times says on the main line the 59th Street station was never used, 72nd Street once a day, 86th Street and 110th Street stations "semi-occasionally" used...this he also proposed for Rapid Transit expansion.

A local was scheduled to leave 30th St in the morning; 20-40 minutes after it arrived Spuyten Duyvil a local was scheduled from there to 30th St. Ditto in the afternoon-- the equipment (whatever it was) was at 30th St overnight and midday, far as we can tell from the TT. While there were no engine servicing facilites at Spuyten Dyvil, there was a fully equipped yard at Morris Heights.

The elevated line from 30th St to the so-called St John's Park terminal opened in 1934, but the depressed line from 60th St down to 35th didn't open until June 1937. So all trains ran in the street on 11th Ave until then-- so no third rail south of 59th St until 1937 at least.

My understanding was that the entire line was grade separated by the time the elevated St. John's Park Terminal opened, but that some street trackage paralleling the new line remained in place to serve specific customers not served by the elevated line.  I think the electrification to 30th Street went into place with the grade separation.   Indeed, I think some of the street trackage remained in place almost up to WWII and perhaps during the war.

I understand the electrification extended down to 30th street for trains to the P. O. annex.

Eventually third rail got down to 30th St or thereabouts, but in 1935 the line from 60th St to 30th St was still street running, on 11th Ave.

Thanks for an authoritative answer.   I was wrong about l93l, then it was '34 or '35.   Possibly when Riverside Park was extended over the tracks and the West Side Highway built north of 72nd street the service was abandoned, and this was 1935.  Understand the electrification extended down to 30th street for trains to the P. O. annex, and I suspect mu equipment was normal for the two daily trains each way.

The 1919 and 1934 employee timetables shows two passenger trains each way on the West Side: a morning round trip 30th To Spuyten Duyvil and back, and ditto in the afternoon. They're not in the 1938.

Other (cool?) stuff about the West Side Freight Line.


From a 1939 NY Times article on the reopening of 11th Avenue north of 41st after they finally removed the rails...very interesting history, of the loss of color now that the "10th Avenue Cowboys" were gone (the guys on horseback with red flags to warn of the locomotive behind)..Kids played on the freights and got hurt...the street was the lesser known improvement, 8th and 6th Avenue being better known (removal of Els)

Then an interesting letter to the editor from 12/13/1904 suggesting that the New York Central build a new bigger station at 30th Street, route most traffic there and build an underground passage to the new Pennsylvania Station for connections south....I wonder if this was really a letter writer, his name was Constant Reader.

I know that when the New York and Northern (later the Putnam Division) terminated outside the Polo Grounds it connected with and transferred baggage onto the New York Elevated Rail Road.....the southern point, with a NY& Northern ticket office and baggage handling, was at 30th Street on the 9th Avenue El, passengers would come down using that amazingly high S curve at the NW corner of Central Park.

August 23, 1902 at 96th Street where the New York Central tracks skirted Riverside Park, a northbound train hit two running children, 4 year old William Achnitz of 807 Amsterdam. 7 year old Julia Myers of 72 West Ninety-eighth may get well, doctors said. "The train which did the cruel work was the "Dolly Varden," of cheerful name but murderous record, and is the sole relic of the hundreds of Hudson River Railroad passenger trains which used to thunder up and down the same roadbed to the old Thirtieth Street Station in the days when the Park Avenue tunnel was still a dream and when their course lay all the way past wooded hills and pasture land, instead of the crowded city which the "Dolly Varden" traverses in these latter days."..The children had been on the old dock (this is 1902) and heading back...the train was moving slow but they panicked. The policeman road the train to the end of its run at the main line junction at Spuyten Duyvil, and then arrested the engineer, William Laspointe.

Here we are in July 1893 and the West Side Gang made another raid Friday afternoon on the "Dolly Varden" train of the New-York Central Railroad, running between Thirtieth Street station and Spuyten Duyvil. ..half a dozen were caught and are now on Blackwell's Island serving two months

About 3 o'clock, as the train stopped at a crossing at Eleventh Avenue and Thirty-third...a score of rough young men jump on the train...they annoyed the passengers by singing...they wouldn't pay a fair, and started abusing the conductor and brakeman, threatening to attack them, they jumped out the windows and ran down the platforms but were apprehended...they had been very obnoxious it reads......they had been very obnoxious it reads...this after the train was stopped by alerted police at 59th Street & 11th, "for a moment there was a lively time on the 'Dolly Varden'" The article was titled Ruffians Threaten Trainmen

Dolly Varden is a character in Charles Dickens' novel "Barnaby Rudge" quite flirtatious her favorite attire a green dress with pink polka dots.

A Dolly Varden is also a fish in the Arctic Char family, they are dark with light colored spots.....the Dolly Varden fish was once considered a "trash fish" and a threat to salmon as it was thought the char ate salmon fry and eggs. Bounties were put on the Dolly Vardens. 6 million were killed 1921 to 1940...people were paid by the tails they turned in...Later the US Bureau of Fisheries discovered that most of the tails were from trout and coho salmon...Dolly Vardens coexisted with salmon for thousands of years...the declines were man-made...Dolly Vardens are a distinct species it is now known...they are the exact opposite coloration from trout and salmon who have dark spots on light background bodies, but are protected by US Fish and Wildlife under a "similarity of appearance" provision of the Endangered Species Act because the Dolly Varden resembles the threatened Bull Trout, a threatened species (but it is opposite...oh, never mind...) Dolly Varden= Salvelinus malma

Dolly Varden is a music group from Chicago, "forging roots music that mixes rock and pop and folk and country in a manner that is heavy on the heartfelt and light on the cliched" since 1995, or so it reads, supposedly they have sparked a "veritable alt-country revival" The band is named after the fish, not the Dickens' character.

Dolly Varden was the name of an early anti-political party movement in the 1800's, anti-bossism was another of their causes., it was strongest in Nevada. The Dolly Varden mine was discovered in (present Elko County) June 1869. It became one of the richest copper mines in southern Elko County (!)..a drop in prices closed the mine until 1905..by 1927 it was abandoned..it is a ghost town today.





By Ken Kinlock at kenkinlock@gmail.com with A LOT of assistance and contributions from Tommy Meehan of the R&LHS-NY Chapter
Rutland Milk

The Fabled Rutland Milk


See Penney's Blog about the Fabled Rutland Milk. Pictured at the left is a “rider car” bringing up the rear as the train goes through the Troy Union Railroad on it's path from Ogdensburg, down through Vermont to Chatham, then down the New York Central Harlem Division to New York City.

Find out about Dreams and Fairpromise

"The West Side Rail Line"


Now when you ride Amtrak into Manhattan from upstate New York, you get to see what's on the other side of the Spuyten Duyvil bridge. Since passenger service ended around World War I, not many of us had a chance to ride this section of track. The former West Side Freight Line of the New York Central was earmarked by New York State and Amtrak as the vital link in the proposed connection between Albany and Penn Station. The northern 9.7 mile open cut, tunnel and at-grade sections as far as the new Javits Convention Center were rehabilitated for this service. The southern 1.5 mile elevated section wasn't so lucky. At one point, in the mid-1980's a private group (West Side Rail Line Development Foundation) wanted to operate it for short line freight and possibly tourists.

The West Side Rail Line began in 1846 when the Hudson River Railroad started construction north from a riverfront depot at Chambers Street. At the end of 1849, the Hudson River Railroad reached Poughkeepsie. The running time was 2 1/2 hours for this 55-mile trip. By 1851 trains were going as far (144 miles) as East Albany (Rensselaer) and connecting with the West. A bridge soon replaced the ferry at Spuyten Duyvil. In 1861, a new passenger terminal at 30th Street and Tenth Avenue was used first by Abraham Lincoln on the way to his inauguration. His funeral train passed that way again in 1865. The line went along the Hudson River from Spuyten Duyvil to 60th Street. It then took Eleventh Avenue to 33rd Street; Tenth Avenue to West Street; south on West Street (along piers) to Canal; then inland to Hudson Street and the block-long St. John's Terminal. In addition to the yards at 30th Street and 60th Street, there were facilities at 145th St., 41st St., and 17th Street. Because the line traveled over city streets (Tenth, Eleventh and Twelfth Avenues), the city passed an ordinance requiring trains on streets to be preceded by a person on horseback carrying a red flag (nicknamed "Tenth Avenue Cowboys"). Originally, steam was not allowed south of 30th Street. There were horsecar stops at 23rd, 14th, Christopher and West Streets. In addition, crossing watchmen were required on a 24-hour basis. Even so, this railroad route was known as "Death Avenue" because of the high number of fatalities. The steam era saw engines shrouded in sheet-metal car bodies which hid from view and muffled the motion and hissing and clanking of valve and rod, which otherwise would have awed and frightened the horse leading the procession. In 1923, five Shay geared locomotives replaced 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 steam "dummy" locomotives.

Commodore Vanderbilt's 1869 consolidation of rail lines from New York to Buffalo resulted in most passenger service going in 1871 to his new Grand Central Depot with the West Side Rail Line becoming mostly freight. After the consolidation, suburban passenger service continued until 1917 but only went as far as Peekskill. [NOTE 12/26/2010: Newer information shows; (1) that service extended only to Spuyten Duyvil, where a commuter COULD transfer to trains as far as Peekskill and (2) service may have extended beyond 1917. This paragraph will be amended when a firm conclusion is reached] A new freight house at St. John's Park (between Laight and Beech Streets) was opened. This terminal replaced the one at Chambers Street. This building had a statue of Commodore Vanderbilt on it which was moved to Grand Central in 1929. This station was built on the site of St. Johns Park which was owned by St. Johns Church on Varick Street (destroyed by the construction of the West Side Subway). The name was kept when a new terminal was built in 1934 because it was familiar to New Yorkers.

The West Side Line was the only freight line directly into Manhattan. By the 1890s, freight stations from Washington Market to Harlem supplied the city with fresh food and transported its manufactured goods to the rest of the nation. There were float docks in the vicinity of the 60th Street and 30th Street yards where car ferries from New Jersey landed. In 1929, between 800 and 900 cars a day in up to 30 to 35 trains went into 60th Street. Less than half of these continued south, mostly at night, in trains with a 30-car maximum. During the day, trains could have 35 cars but could not run during rush hour or on Sunday morning. South of 30th Street, trains could only have 15 cars.

In the 1920s, a city commission was formed to solve the traffic problems between automobiles and trains. The New York Central built a new freight terminal at Spring and Washington Streets (one block north of the Holland Tunnel). This terminal connected to the 30th Street Yards by means of an elevated double track line. This line crossed about 40 intersecting streets on overhead bridges. Tracks between 30th Street and the 60th Street Yards were placed in a cut between Tenth and Eleventh Avenues. City streets are carried over the line on viaducts. The cut contained a three to five track rail line. The tracks through Riverside Park were covered with an artificial tunnel, adding 32 acres of recreation space. The improvement involved the removal of 105 grade crossings and 640 buildings including one church and two schools. Tracks were finally off the streets by 1941.

Heading south from its break with the Hudson Division, the railroad ran between the Hudson River and the Henry Hudson Parkway. It went underneath the approaches to the George Washington bridge which was built in 1932. At 145th Street, the Manhattanville yard on the edge of the river had seven team/freight tracks. The line was elevated from there to about 125th Street. Any tunnels were wide enough for five tracks. The improvement project was built in conjunction with the West Side Highway. Named the Julius Miller Highway in honor of the Manhattan borough president, it originally ran to Rector Street but decay caused everything south of 60th Street to be torn down. The 60th Street yard had car float bridges, industrial sidings, a freight house, a round house, and an electric generating plant. Switches in this yard were hand-thrown. At 41st Street there was a wye as well as a stub track to several slaughter houses. Tracks began fanning out at 37th Street in anticipation of the 30th Street yard. Tenth Avenue was carried over the already-depressed 30th Street yard area on a viaduct. There were 80 yard, team and warehouse tracks in this area. Capacity of the yard was 1350 cars and there was even a Macy's warehouse supported over the tracks. 233 buildings were demolished to provide space.

The elevated section of the West Side Freight Line ran 1.5 miles south from 34th Street. It encircled the Thirtieth Street Yard and climbed a 1.6% grade in order to have sufficient distance to overcome the difference in elevation between the viaduct and the depressed tracks to the north. The width of the elevated structure varies from 35' to 57'. Its minimum clearance over city streets is 14'. The viaduct is of steel with concrete floor construction and the tracks are carried on stone ballast except in the former packing house district where, for sanitary purposes, concrete was used. The viaduct's passage through buildings is a most unusual feature. In the peaked-roof Bell Labs building at Bank Street, it was necessary to support the viaduct on caissons independent of the building in order to eliminate vibrations which might affect instruments. In Greenwich Village, an outdoor mural of the 20th Century Limited hauled by a J3a Hudson, circa 1930, covers the open bays of the rail line as it passes through the West Coast apartment building. The mural was done in 1981 when the former Manhattan Refrigeration Company building on Gansevoort Street was converted to apartments.

In Chelsea, a spur served sidings in the Morgan Parcel Post Building (six tracks and necessary platforms to accommodate 36 cars at one time). A plaque on the wall of the Morgan Station, one of the nation's largest automated mail facilities, commemorates it as the site of the 1861 passenger station of the Hudson River RR.

The viaduct provided for side tracks right to the door of industries located along the right of way (for instance, Merchants Refrigeration at 16th Street and National Biscuit Company at 18th Street) and passes directly through a number of buildings, several of which were built with this idea in mind. Trackage runs on private right-of-way west of Tenth Avenue then crosses Tenth at 17th Street. It continued alongside Washington Street through Greenwich Village to the terminal. There were frequent facing and trailing crossovers. In later years, much of this trackage was devoted to storing mail cars. St. John's Freight Terminal, with tracks at second floor, permitted public loading and unloading to be done entirely under cover. It had 730,000 square feet of space and was served by eight tracks. It handled freight in both carload and less than carload quantities, inbound and outbound. It was a principal delivery station for "dairy freight". This terminal covered three city blocks and was served by 14 freight elevators and three scales. 150 trucks could load or unload on the first floor. The building was three stories high with offices on the third, but could have been extended to twelve stories.

Electrification of the line south to 30th Street was accomplished as part of the 1934 improvements. This accomplished discontinuance of steam operation of trains in the city. While "S" and "T" motors appeared on the line, the main fleet of electric freight locomotives consisted of forty-two class R-2 locomotives, built by ALCO-GE in 1931, which weighed 133 tons and could deliver 3000 horsepower. Switching at 30th Street, 60th Street and on the elevated viaduct was done with diesel electric locomotives. The Central owned forty-one class DES-3 three-power box cab units. When running on third rail trackage, the locomotive could develop 1665 horsepower. The 300-horsepower diesel engine was sufficient for switching. Battery powered operation was suitable only in low horsepower situations. As well as third rail shoes, these locomotives had small pantographs. Many units remained in service until the mid-1950's. Also used to work the yards at 30th and 60th Streets, were seven heavy steeple cab switchers, designated "Q" motors, which were built in 1926. The third rail was taken out in the 1950s after which RS-3 diesels were used extensively on the line. Freights to and from the mainline were handled frequently by ALCO FAs.

A 1950 employee timetable shows two mail trains originating daily from 30th Street Yard. Milk trains terminated at 60th Street. By 1957, scheduled milk trains had disappeared. No scheduled trains went below 30th Street as this was switching territory only. Speed limit on the viaduct was 10 miles per hour. North to the drawbridge ranged between 30 and 45 MPH. The entire line contained numerous restrictions for both cars and engines.The Great Depression began the decline of freight traffic. There was a surge during World War II but truck competition forced the closing of the Spring Street Terminal in the 1950s and cutting the line back to Leroy Street. When the New York Central RR was merged into the Penn Central, the West Side Freight Line still served the Gansevoort Market and New York's printing and garment industries. The Central tried many innovations such as the Flexi-Van site at 151st Street for handling of the mails. As trucks captured more business, the line was removed south of Bank Street to allow construction of the West Village housing. In 1991, the line was cut back another five blocks to Gansevoort Street. When the Penn Central went bankrupt, many plans were drawn up to sell its vast West Side real estate holdings. Most of the real estate survived until Conrail took over freight operations in 1976.

In 1979, the 30th Street Yards were sold to the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority for the construction of the Convention Center and the Long Island RR's West Side Storage Yard. The elevated portion of the line (known as Conrail's West 30th Street Secondary Track) last saw a train in April, 1980 when three freight cars of frozen turkeys were delivered. Shortly thereafter, the access ramp to the elevated line was removed to allow construction of the Convention Center. When the ramp was rebuilt, service was not restored. In 1982, Conrail abandoned freight service south of 60th Street. The last train on the northern portion of the line before its recent upgrade for Amtrak was in 1983 when the "New York Times" received a load of newsprint. Upgrading the line meant rebuilding the drawbridge built in 1900 when Spuyten Duyvil Creek and the Harlem River were widened to form the Harlem River Ship Canal. Its steam-operated motor had been replaced with an electric one in 1963. It had remained out of service since 1983 when a hit-and-run collision left it in the open position and would have required extensive rehabilitation. This 610-foot bridge consists of three fixed sections - two on the Manhattan side and one on the Bronx side. They are connected by a 290-foot-long center section that pivots on a central tower and rotates almost 65 degrees to open a 100-foot channel on either side. Depending on tides, there is often only five feet of clearance from the water line to the bridge.

Amtrak and New York State spent a great deal of money on the West Side Connector Project by purchasing the line from Metro-North's Hudson Division at Spuyten Duyvil to 34th Street and rehabilitating one then two tracks to 60 miles-per-hour passenger standards. A Penn Station connection - a tunnel under the new Long Island West Side Storage Yard - was required. Now, all Amtrak trains going to Grand Central Terminal have been rerouted to Penn Station. This provides same-station transfer between upstate and northeast corridor points. The project will cut about 15 minutes from the Albany to New York City trip.

By Ken Kinlock at kenkinlock@gmail.com

See KC's blog on the 5th Anniversary of the High Line Park. He has a lot of great pictures of the old West Side Freight Line

affiliate_link See KC Jones BLOG about Railroad History
KC Jones
Cheap Airfares

Disclaimer:

As the New York Central system-wide timetable, Form 1001, used to read:
"Subject to change without notice, not responsible for errors and omissions."
Postwar Freight Modernization

The New York Harbor Railroad is a great resource freight on the New York Central. They cover all the railroads who provided freight service to New York City. Their data on the West Side Freight Line is a great supplement to our site.

Railroads in New York State

All-time list of railroad names in New York State

Some interesting things about New York State Railroads, mostly New York Central Railroad

The one source to go to for railroad history.

Even more great railroad links.

St Johns Freight House

St Johns Freight House Photo at left is of the St Johns Park Freight House. These are from a brochure published by the New York Central in 1934 and re-issued by the West Side Rail Line Development Foundation (author was a former member and supporter of this foundation).

St. John's Park was abandoned when some of the High Line ROW below Bank St. was sold for housing. But had traffic there dried up by then? Was there any debate over it at the time? The line was only about 20 years old at that time. When St. John's was in service, there were about 8 tracks running into it-- how was it switched? And what kind of stuff was shipped to St. John's. Also, the line served Nabisco, Armour--when did they stop using the line? And did the RR serve Bell Labs (now Westbeth) whose building it ran through?
New York Central Home Page
www.dictionary.ms Abandoned Railroads of the US - All Things Related to Abandoned Railroads
Thousands of miles of railroads have been abandoned in the United States, much of it in the last 30 years. All of these railroad lines have a history and a story. This club is dedicated to the preservation of the history of each of these former railroad lines. Please join and contribute.
milk train

Once upon a time, milk trains were important

New York Central Milk Business
There were two basic types of milk trains – the very slow all-stops local that picked up milk cans from rural platforms and delivered them to a local creamery, and those that moved consolidated carloads from these creameries to big city bottling plants. Individual cars sometimes moved on lesser trains. These were dedicated trains of purpose-built cars carrying milk. Early on, all milk was shipped in cans, which lead to specialized "can cars" with larger side doors to facilitate loading and unloading (some roads just used baggage cars). In later years, bulk carriers with glass-lined tanks were used. Speed was the key to preventing spoilage, so milk cars were set up for high speed service, featuring the same types of trucks, brakes, communication & steam lines as found on passenger cars. MILK TRAINS WERE IMPORTANT CUSTOMERS ON THE WEST SIDE FREIGHT LINE
West Side Cowboy wins award
(Photo clipped from an old New York Central Headlight)
Corsica Ferry
English

Traveling in Europe?
You will probably need to make a FERRY RESERVATION.


Also available in French
Stop by and see our Reservations Center.
Corsica Ferry
French
60th Street Yard
Click on picture above to visit the 60th Street Yards
Hudson Yards

HUDSON YARDS


A proposal by the New York City Department of Planning
Fallen Flags Photos

Customers on the West Side Freight Line


Some customers used the St Johns Freight Terminal while others had sidings directly off the line.

Customers using sidings included: Spear & Company; R C Williams & Co. (groceries); Merchants Refrigerating Co; National Biscuit; Cudahy Packing Co (meats); Armour & Co (meats); Wilson & Co (meats); Swift & Co (meats); Bell Telephone; Mahattan Refigerating Co

Customers using the freight terminal included: Borden Co; Colod Corp; Libby,McNeil & Libby; Sealright Corp; Shannon Bros; Magazine Shippers Assn; Universal Carloading & Dist; F W Woolworth; Western Carloading.

Neighbors of the High Line


The High Line (West Side Freight Line) was not the only railroad activity on the west side. The Erie Railroad car floats served their 28th Street Yard, car floats served the Lehigh Valley Railroad at 27th Street, and the New York Central's car floats served 60th Street. Then there were passenger ferries from New Jersey too.

See more about the 60th Street yard.

Donald Trump recently opened up a stretch of Riverside Park between 59th and 74th Street, alongside a recent development of his where the old West Side Rail Yards used to be. Amtrak tracks still run underground here, but freight tracks used to be right at grade here and this was, as most waterfront areas in New York used to be, a vital area for shipping and commerce. Those days are gone, but twisted, decaying wreckage remains.

Find out more about other car float operations in the New York harbor.

REFERENCE

List of New York Railroads
New York City
New York Central
Friends of the Highline
Includes some great pictures!
A walk along the High Line
"Paradise Lost" (from the Village Voice)
1967 accident on West Side Freight Line. Head-on collision
Railway Stations
Industrial and Offline Terminal Railroads NY City area
West Side freight pictures: old and great!
A great site, lot of NY Central and New York State
Author & Publisher: Richard O. Aichele
Climb aboard the High Line

RailwayStation.com has provided a 1942 Quiz Book on Railroads and Railroading.
Here's some interesting questions and answers:

How many carloads of foodstuffs and fuel are delivered by the railroads daily in New York City and vicinity?

The railroads deliver approximately 4,000 carloads of foodstuffs and fuel in New York City and suburbs every twenty-four hours, on the average. Like alert racing thoroughbreds at the post, these powerful titans wait for the "go" signal. A century of engineering research has gone into the production of the modern steam locomotive.

What ever happened to my Penn Central stock?

Penn Central gobbled up the stock of New York Central, Pennsylvania and New Haven Railroads. But what ever happened to the company and the stock? Is it worth anything?

Ever hear of American Premier Underwriters?

Grand Central Terminal and the New York City Subway

This page is our gateway to New York City. Find out about the New York Central Railroad's Grand Central Terminal. Explore the fabulous New York City Subway System. Learn who Robert Moses. was and his impact on New York City. Understand New York City transit planning, West Side Freight Line (the "High Line") and St Johns terminal. The New Haven Railroad and the Long Island Railroad reached into New York City. Did you know the Lehigh Valley Railroad even went into New York City (by ferry). Learn about the Jenney Plan to bring commuters into New York City and finally explore mysterious track 61 at Grand Central Terminal with its relationship to Presidents of the United States.

Advertisement about New York Central in Robert Young era EDI Tool Box What is EDI?
EDI Mapping
AS2
Blogs about EDI and eCommerce
Financial EDI
EDI with the Government
Electronic Commerce Communications Providers
EDI and EC Vendors
EDI Project Management
Transportation EDI
History of EDI
Unique Global Identity for EDI Messages
Who wrote all this good stuff?

New York City Post Office


THE old Pennsylvania Station, built in 1910 from Seventh to Eighth Avenue and 31st to 33rd Street, is still one of New York's most famous buildings, even though it was destroyed more than 40 years ago. Equally famous is the nearby huge General Post Office. Madison Square Garden with a "Penn Station" in its basement is totally inferior architecturally to either building.

The Pennsylvania Railroad worked hard at getting the General Post Office located nearby Penn Station because revenue from carrying the mail was important. When trains began to run under the Hudson River in 1910, the new General Post Office was still in construction but was ready to handle 250 tons of mail a day with an intricate network of spiral chutes, conveyor belts, elevators, automatic tilting platforms and pneumatic tubes.

This building is famous for the quote on the front: "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

There is a huge lobby for patrons and the rest of the building is a lot of offices for postal departments behind old-fashioned wire-and-glass doors. The rear facade of the 1913 building - now covered by a 1935 extension to Ninth Avenue - was the side where trucks picked up and delivered mail, via a street running through the block. The connection to the West Side Freight Line was into the parcel post building.

Renamed in 1982 the James A. Farley Building, the post office is due for major renovations, if plans by the Empire State Development Corporation come through. A general design was set out by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill in 2001: slice the building in half at the middle, restoring the old vehicular opening from 31st to 33rd Street. This would leave the post office in place behind its giant colonnade but create a new midblock entryway for a subgrade station.

The proposed Moynihan Station has been called a "flagship transit facility," a conversion of the Farley Post Office across the street from Penn Station to a commuting hub with skylights and open-air platforms.

When complete by 2010, Moynihan Station would provide 400,000 square feet of additional space for a new train station as well as hundreds of thousands of square feet for private development. Though the track and platforms at Penn will likely remain the same, LIRR riders will have new street entrances on the west side of Eighth Avenue and mid-block on 31st and 33rd Streets. The station will be easier to navigate, with broad concourses naturally lit by skylights above a high ceiling. It will connect underground to the existing Penn Station.

Citing financial difficulties, Amtrak pulled out of occupying the station and the state is currently negotiating with NJ Transit to be the main tenant. It's also possible the LIRR could move some of its operations there. Tracks run beneath the building.

The station handles more than 550,000 daily commuters. The current Penn Station, a three-level subterranean complex, was put together after the demolition of the original building in 1963. The LIRR section was renovated 11 years ago at a cost of $190 million.
Crossing a bridge
The New York Central Railroad

See some historic photographs of the New York Central Railroad. First-generation diesels! Passenger and freight runs. Much more!

Ferry from Weehawken
The West Shore got as close to New York City as across the river in New Jersey. Passengers took a ferry while freight went across the river on car floats. Click on the picture to see more on ferries and car floats.

NYC had two ferry routes to the West Shore Weehawhen terminal. The "regular" route was from the foot of W.42nd St. (also the terminal of the 42nd St. crosstown and 10th Ave. streetcar lines), and one to Cortlandt St., adjacent to the CNJ's Liberty St. ferry terminal.

Adjacent to the West Shore Ferry at Cortlandt Street Manhattan was the Starrin lines shipping. They had barges full of freight cars in this area but there were no tracks in lower manhattan. These were "station carfloats" -- almost like a "floating team track", they had a (usually sheltered) platform down the middle, where cars could be unloaded and the contents moved onto shore. They were especially common on the Lower W. Side, adjacent to the old Washington Market.
GlobalHighway The Global Highway:
Interchange to Everywhere
A portal to the World. The Global Highway leads everywhere! Follow it to wherever you might want to go. We have something for everyone!
Travel and other greatlinks!
Penn Central New Haven Railroad New York Central Railroad

Interested in Penn Central? New York Central? Pennsylvania Railroad? New Haven Railroad? or in the smaller Eastern US railroads? Then you will be interested in "What if the Penn Central Merger Did Not Happen". You will also enjoy "Could George Alpert have saved the New Haven?" as well as "What if the New Haven never merged with Penn Central?"

MOTIVE POWER


Until the West Side was electrified and grade-separated in the 1930's, steam power as big as L Class ran to 72nd Street. They were all coal fired. Trains on 10th Avenue were handled by "dummy" engines - totally enclosed Shay geared steam locomotives.

Nearly all the freight traffic from the west on the NYC came across the swing bridge at Spuyten Duyvil. The only other access was via car float. The bridge was double track then, and steam powered. A local would leave an occasional car of coal on the side track at the bridge. The bridge tender carted the coal in a wheelbarrow out to the coal bin and boiler on the swing span. After the West Side was electrified, the NYC had an unusual arrangement for engine crews in freight service. Passenger trains changed engines and crews at Harmon, but the freight trains only changed engines (motors). One engine crew would take a freight train with an R motor from 33rd St or 72nd St to Harmon. Then the same engine crew would take over a steam locomotive for the rest of the trip to Selkirk, West Albany or Troy.

More About St Johns Freight House

St Johns Freight House
St Johns Freight House
St Johns Freight House
Photos at left of the St Johns Park Freight House. These are from a brochure published by the New York Central in 1934 and re-issued by the West Side Rail Line Development Foundation (author was a former member and supporter of this foundation).

St. John's Park was abandoned when some of the High Line ROW below Bank St. was sold for housing. But had traffic there dried up by then? Was there any debate over it at the time? The line was only about 20 years old at that time. When St. John's was in service, there were about 8 tracks running into it-- how was it switched? And what kind of stuff was shipped to St. John's. Also, the line served Nabisco, Armour--when did they stop using the line? And did the RR serve Bell Labs (now Westbeth) whose building it ran through?

St. John's Park Freight House was in service in 1961, and it was out of service in 1964, based on the time-table special instructions.

In October, 1964, the easternmost (south, by geography) overhead clearance was Bell Labs on Washington Street.

St. John's Park was switched with diesel-electric switching locomotives. When it was first opened, they were the tri-power motors. After those were retired in the 1950's, the prevaling yard engines in New York City were Alco S-1's and S-3's. St. John's Park Station was a large covered freight house for LCL freight (Less-than-Car Load). It handled all sorts of merchandise in small shipments.

The railroad never served Bell Labs. The building was there first, so the NYC had to design and construct the opening for the tracks with great care to avoid vibrations that would affect the delicate instrumentation used on research projects in the building. They used some very advanced, for the time, isolation bearings to prevent transmission of vibrations from the track to the building.

The "Close Overhead Clearances" in the time-table only shows Tracks 1 and 2 at Bell Labs. If they had a sidetrack, it would have shown as such, because it would have had to be covered. Tracks 1 and 2 were the through tracks between St. John's Park and West 105th Street. From West 105th St to Spuyten Duyvil the two tracks became actual "Main Tracks" by time-table designation.

By Ken Kinlock at kenkinlock@gmail.com
Powered by WebRing.
Supply Chain Control Tower

Supply Chain Management Control Towers



Control towers are used in many industries for different purposes: airports and railroads use them for traffic control; power plants have control rooms to monitor operations; and third party logistics providers use them to track transportation activities. These are places where operations run well. Why not a

“SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT CONTROL TOWER"

in order to monitor and assure your supply? Talk to us, we build them!

So just what is an SCM Control Tower? What are the functions of a Supply Chain Control Tower? Who staffs your Supply Chain Management Control Tower?

If you use an EDI VAN for your business, this message is for you. Move past the ancient VAN technology. JWH EDI Services Electronic Commerce Messaging System will bring your EDI operation into the 21st Century. The power of our global EDI network is available on your server, your cloud platform or your application. AND you cannot beat our prices.
You can connect and communicate with all your customers and trading partners through the JWH EDI Services Electronic Commerce Messaging System - Connect with trading partners around the world on a single Network-as-a-Service platform, get real-time transaction visibility and eliminate those manual network processes. It is a pay as you need model. We track all interchanges from the moment they enter the system, along every step across the network, and through the delivery confirmation.

How can we help you? Contact us: Ken Kinlock at kenkinlock@gmail.com

Have you heard about WAZZ UB

It morphed into MY PERFECT INTERNET



The World Wide Web is the future and it is our VISION to create a PERFECT INTERNET for all.

Nowadays, you have to click and scroll and waste a lot of time to find what you are really looking for. The big search engines, communities and email services collect your data to serve you with tons of unwanted advertising and to sell your data. Your mailbox is full of spam and spyware/malware is always around the corner.

In our VISION, we create a HOME for a GLOBAL FAMILY of users, where your DATA is SAFE and where you find all the USEFUL SERVICES that you need at your fingertips.

Imagine a company that is not only LISTENING to but DRIVEN BY its MEMBERS. A company that is SHARING SUCCESS and CREATING JOBS all around the world...

Welcome to the PERFECT INTERNET!

Sign up for your Perfect Internet Home Page today!

Contact us at kinlock@hotmail.com Links to railroad Sites

Site Map

Google
Check PageRank
eXTReMe Tracker
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind
This WebSite is a member of the OMINOUS WEATHER Group (which also includes Kingly Heirs, JWH EDI, Barry's Best, EDI Tool Box, Weathertopia, Vacation French Riviera, WebRing Railroads). Privacy. Terms of Use. Free online link checker - test your links
ICANN's Registrants' Benefits and Responsibilities LinkedIn ICANN's Registrant Educational Information